500g beef fillet (also works well with pork or lamb fillet)
2 teaspoons cornflour
2 tablespoons sesame oil
2 tablespoons oyster sauce
1 tablespoon soy sauce
1 teaspoon honey
2 tablespoons sunflower oil
2cm root ginger, finely chopped
2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
3 spring onions, sliced
2 tablespoons of water
- Place the beef in the freezer for 1-2 hours to semi-freeze it.
- After 1-2 hours remove the beef from the freezer and using a sharp knife, slice the beef as thinly as possible, e.g. 2mm thick slices.
- Put the beef into a large bowl with the cornflour and toss until beef is well coated.
- Mix together the sesame oil, oyster sauce, soy sauce and honey. Then add to the beef in the bowl and mix well. Leave aside for 30 minutes to marinate. This can also be done the night before, or in the morning, and left in the fridge until required.
- Heat some sunflower oil in a large wok or frying pan over high heat and stir-fry the beef in small batches for 1 minute or until browned on both sides. Remove the beef from the pan. Then repeat with the remaining beef.
- Heat more sunflower oil in the pan on medium heat, add the ginger, garlic and spring onion and stir-fry for 1-2 minutes until fragrant.
- Add the beef to the garlic, ginger and spring onion in the pan and continue to stir-fry for 2-3 minutes on medium heat.
- Add the 2 tablespoons of water to create a thick sauce, and cook for another minute
- Remove pan from the heat and serve with boiled rice and steamed greens, or see the Fabulous Fried Rice recipe on this website.
Tip: Serve with steamed greens and Dietitian For Kids fried rice recipe.