2 chicken breasts (600-700g)
1/2 can of cannellini beans
1 cup grated cheese
1 cup cauliflower florets (optional – try 1/2 a cup or leave this out if your child can detect the flavour)
1 teaspoon garlic powder
1 teaspoon onion powder
Breadcrumbs, e.g. panko or other breadcrumbs of choice
Optional: 1/2 teaspoon smoked paprika, 1 teaspoon oregano
- Steam the chicken breast until cooked through
- Steam or boil the cauliflower until tender
- Chop the cooked chicken and cauliflower into 2 cm pieces
- Add the chopped chicken, cauliflower, and cannellini beans to a food processor and process until it’s well combined and like a coarse paste.
- Allow the mixture to cool for 10-15 minutes.
- Add the eggs, cheese, garlic and onion powder and mix again until well processed.
- Take around 1 tablespoon of mixture and mould into a nugget shape. OR take 4 tablespoons of mixture and mould into the shape of a small schnitzel.
- Place nuggets in the fridge for 1 hour to set.
- Remove from the fridge and lightly brush each nugget on both sides with vegetable oil, then press breadcrumbs into each side. Alternatively, if you prefer a thicker crumb you can coat each nugget in plain flour, then dip into a milk and egg mixture (1 egg + 1/2 cup milk whisked together), then coat with breadcrumbs. I tested both methods of crumbing and they both work out well, with the latter method the chicken is moister.
- Lightly pan fry on each side for 1-2 minutes in a little vegetable oil then place in the oven at 200oC for 10 minutes.
Serving Tip: Enjoy with some oven baked chips and salad, or mashed potato and vegetables. This recipe makes approximately 36 nuggets or 9 small schnitzels.